Mar 19, 2014

Plumeria

On Monday, my school district had our tenth snow day!  I'm beginning to fear that we are going to be in school until July making-up these days!  However, you won't find me complaining too much because there is nothing I love more than curling up on my couch on a chilly day with a blanket, hot coffee, my cat, and a good book!

I have loved reading for as long as I can remember.  My parents read to me regularly when I was tiny.  As a child, I devoured American Girl books and just about anything else I could get my hands on.  These days, I love a good murder mystery with historical fiction novels coming in a strong second.

The book-lover in me was delighted to hear about a link-up at Selah's blog A Bibliophile's Style.  The link-up is called Thoughtful Third Thursday (I know, I know, it's only Wednesday...I'm a day early).  For this link-up, Selah has challenged us to wear an outfit inspired by the book that we are currently reading.


Right now I'm reading The Passion of the Purple Plumeria by Lauren Willig.  This is Willig's tenth installment in Pink Carnation, one of my all-time favorite series!  These books have a little bit of everything that I love: mystery, history, France and romance.  All of the books take place in England and France during the period after the French Revolution.  The main characters are spies, their lovers, their friends and family.


The heroine of The Passion of the Purple Plumeria is a self-proclaimed spinster-turned-spy, Miss Gwendolyn Meadows.  While on a mission to find two missing teenage girls (whose disappearance may be more sinister than implied), Gwen's heart begins to warm towards the charming Colonel William Reid.

My outfit is inspired by the title of the novel and the personality of the main character.  With "purple" and "plumeria" in the title, obviously I had to wear purple and a floral print.  My mind immediately jumped to this cardigan and upon perusing my closet, I found that it really complimented the floral print in this blouse.  As a pragmatic woman and daring spy, Gwen prefers sneaking around in breeches as opposed to her typical daytime dresses.  For this reason, I knew I couldn't dress in too girly a manner and opted for pants over a skirt.  The addition of a metallic belt made me feel all put together!



Make sure to stop by A Bibliophile's Style to see other literary-inspired styles and I hope that you will pick-up The Secret History of the Pink Carnation, the first in the series by Lauren Willig!

What I'm Wearing:
Blouse: Target (similarsimilar)
Cardigan: Old Navy (exact) <-- Not currently in purple
Belt: Francesca's (similarsimilar)
Pants: Gap (similarsimilar)
Shoes: Lindsay Philips (exact)

Linking-Up:
A Bibliophile's Style- Thoughtful Third Thursday
Because Shanna Said So- Random Wednesday

Bookmark and Share

13 comments:

  1. What a cool concept for style inspiration! And I love your interpretation...that shirt and sweater are perfect together, and you look so springy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I thought it was a fun challenge...especially since I love to read! You should link-up next month (or tomorrow for that matter)!

      Delete
  2. This is a really cute outfit, and what a cool idea for finding style inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Inge! You should do the link-up next time :)

      Delete
  3. Your outfit really matches the book perfectly! And this outfit is so flattering on you. It all just fits so nicely! Nice work on this week's linkup :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear! I just love this link-up! What a fun, new way to find outfit inspiration!

      Delete
  4. This is a perfect transition to spring outfit! I love that blouse--such flattering colors on you. I, too, have had 10+ snow days this year. I'm so ready for spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Allie! Bring-on that spring weather! I hope that you aren't making-up days clear into July :/

      Delete
  5. Ooh, that series sounds fun! I love your outfit and explanation - so glad you linked up!
    Have you read The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter by Susan Wittig Albert? They're historical mysteries featuring Beatrix Potter as the sleuth, and half of the chapters are told from animals' points of view, particularly the various village cats. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I meant to include this link:
      http://www.cottagetales.com/books/index.shtml

      Delete
    2. I haven't read that series but I've been looking for a new series to get into. I will check these out! Thanks for the recommendation and for hosting a really fun and unique link-up.

      Delete
  6. Oh, the colors are stunning! And the inspiration novel sound intriguing. I've just finished reading Gail Carrigan's Parasol Protectorate series and am jonesing for more period pieces with feisty female characters. I will definitely put this in my library queue. Thanks for the recommendation and thanks for linking up!

    M @ http://www.myclosetcatalogue.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would DEFINITELY recommend these books, then! You will have to let me know what you think! Thanks for hosting a wonderful link-up!

      Delete