Mar 13, 2014

Post-Christmas Plaid

As you've probably noticed, it has been quite cold in recent months, making a cozy, plaid shirt a desirable outfit option.  However, I know that I often associate plaid shirts with the holidays...particularly this red and green plaid shirt.  My lovely best friend owns this same shirt and recently asked for tips to wearing it after the holidays and into the (chilly) spring.

Here is one way to de-holiday a particularly festive plaid shirt (or any plaid shirt for that matter).


Pattern-mixing is a always a fun way to add interest to an outfit!  By adding a boldly-patterned sweater layered over your plaid shirt, you make the plaid a little bit more subtle.  I think that a stripes would look great with plaid as well!



Another way to take your favorite plaid shirt into the spring is to find a lighter accent color in the shirt and to play it up!  For example, there is a bit of mint green (so popular this spring) running through this shirt.  I could layer a mint sweater over top of the plaid or I could wear some mint skinny jeans to really accentuate the springy hue.

Do you have any other tips for taking your favorite plaid shirt into the warmer seasons?

What I'm Wearing:
Shirt: Old Navy (similarsimilar)
Sweater: Target (similarsimilar)
Necklace: Simply Charming Boutique (similarsimilar)
Pants: Gap (similarsimilar)
Shoes: Lindsay Philips (similar)

Linking-Up With:
Delusions of Grandeur- Favorite Fashion Friday
Vodka Infused Lemonade- Très-Chic Fashion Thursday

Bookmark and Share

8 comments:

  1. Plaid under spots, you are brave, but it works! I would have never thought of this! I think the mint sweater would work, too!

    The Thriftyfirecracker x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad that you agree that my pattern mixing works! It's fun to take risks but I often wonder if I'm actually pulling it off.

      Delete
  2. Plaid with polka dots is such a great combination! You look adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lauren! And thanks for hosting such a fun link-up!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for helping me extend the wearability of my plaid! I really love the mint jeans idea and those have been on my "to buy" list anyway, so I will keep looking for the right pair. The polka dots are super fun too and perhaps someday I'll be more adventurous with my pattern mixing :) Having such a fashionable best friend to go to with questions is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I SO hope that you find mint jeans so I can see how this idea of mine turns-out. Love you!

      Delete
  4. I have a really similar plaid and struggled with it a little after Christmas... this is a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I'm so glad I could be of some help :)

      Delete