Mar 25, 2016

Blogging Besties :: the Shirtdress


Blogging Besties is a weekly series featuring Whitney of Whitney à la mode, Alex of Undergraduate Style, Maricel of ::My Closet Catalogue:: and Selah of A Bibliophile’s Style. Each week, one of the bloggers will choose one component from the previous week’s outfit to pass on in a brand new look. This “take one, pass it on” challenge is an inspiration to stretch your closet and your imagination!

Last week, Alex made me drool with envy double time: first, for the snow so prominently displayed in her background and second, for her fabulously crisp and classy ensemble. She thoroughly winter-ized a summery anchor piece with the perfect addition of cozy accessories.

9f759-blogging-besties-polka-dots-1
 
So this week is brought to you by: “a shirtdress, layers, a statement belt, wedges, or a hat”. For your viewing pleasure, I give you: the shirtdress.

Image (24)
 

According to Wikipedia, the shirtdress is "a style of dress that borrows details from a man's shirt. These can include a collar, a button front, or cuffed sleeves. Often, these dresses are made up in crisp fabrics including cotton or silk, much like a men's dress shirt would be." I do own a frock that matches the aforementioned description exactly, but that would've just been too easy. Instead, then, I offer up an outfit that takes elements of the shirtdress out to play.

Image (25)
 

Collar? Check. Button front? Yeppers. Cuffed sleeves? How adorable are those "cuffs", I ask you. (The description never specified that they needed to be long sleeves, right?) And I can certify that this top is a decidedly crisp cotton fabric. But it's still not a dress, you say? I submit that the pairing of a high-waisted skirt, whose hue almost perfectly matches the blue stripes of the top, creates the illusion that this entire ensemble is, in fact, a single piece rather than separates. After all, in fashion, deception and visual sleight-of-hand is almost par for the course. Of course, I have to point out that my outfit is in keeping with my still-running-strong 40s obsession. Not only are those cunning eight buttons on the skirt a true take on the iconic sailor trend so prevalent during that era, can we take a moment to squee over those shoes? They're my first pair of Hotter heels, and I don't care if this brand is supposedly geared toward the over 45 crowd. Wearing these babies is like giving gentle hugs for my tired tootsies. They can get pretty pricey, but I got mine on super clearance, and I can totally support a company that prides itself on its excellent quality. Also, Hotter gets bonus points for not outsourcing any aspect of their business. I had to return three of the four pairs I purchased, and I was helped over the telephone by Paul, a lovely customer service rep with the most delicious British accent. Swoon! For Selah's turn next week, I challenge her to the following: stripes, nautical, navy blue, sensible shoes, or a dog. Vive le vendredi!

Image (27)
 
:: Just the facts, ma’am :: Top – Express Skirt – Chadwick's Heels – Hotter
:: Scream it from the top of your lungs :: Moonglow by Artie Shaw
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment